Standard Bank Derek Cooper Africa Scholarships 2020 – Applications are invited for the Standard Bank Derek Cooper Africa Scholarships 2020/2021 at the London School of Economics. The scholarships are to support academically gifted students who do not have the financial means to pursue further studies of this nature.
The successful candidates will need to demonstrate a combination of exceptional academic merit and financial need. The London School of Economics is unique in its concentration on teaching and research across the full range of social, political and economic sciences. These scholarships are generously supported by Standard Bank of South Africa PLC.
About Standard Bank
Standard Bank Group is the largest African banking group by assets, with a market cap of approximately R318 billion (USD23 billion) at 30 June 2019, offering a range of banking and related financial services across sub-Saharan Africa.
Our strategy is to be an African focused, client-centred, digitally enabled universal financial services organisation, which drives Africa’s growth and creates value for all our stakeholders. Our clients are at the centre of everything we do. This is our central organising principle in building a digitally enabled universal financial services organisation. It aligns our efforts to change the way we do things, develop our people and shift our culture, and ultimately create a sustainable competitive advantage in a changing industry.
We have a 156-year history in South Africa, and started building a franchise in sub-Saharan Africa almost 30 years ago. We have an on-the-ground presence in 20 countries on the African continent, and solid local knowledge required to operate a successful business in Africa.
Our presence in and connection with, global financial centres enables us to facilitate investment and development flows in Africa, and access to international capital to facilitate growth, diversification and development in Africa. We also have a strategic partnership with the largest bank in the world, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC), who is a 20% shareholder in the group.
The long-term foreign currency ratings for The Standard Bank of South Africa, the single largest operating entity within the Standard Bank Group, are: Fitch Ratings BB+ (stable) and Moody’s Baa3 (Rating under review). Click here to read more on credit ratings. The group is listed on the JSE and A2X, with share code SBK, and the Namibian Stock Exchange, share code SNB.
We subscribe to the Code of Banking Practice, a set of principles governing banking in South Africa and ensuring the highest standards of professionalism, integrity and fairness.
- The three scholarships will each provide the cost of full fees for the eligible programmes and provide a maintenance stipend for living costs.
Eligibility – Standard Bank Derek Cooper Africa Scholarships 2020
- Applicants will ordinarily be resident in one of Standard Bank’s African presence countries, with a preference for residents of South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Angola, Mozambique and South Sudan.
- The scholarships are for offer holders on the following LSE master’s programmes:
- MSc Environment and Development
- MSc Environmental Economics and Climate Change
- MSc Finance (full-time)
- MSc Finance and Private Equity
- MSc Risk and Finance
- MSc Real Estate Economics and Finance
- MSc Law and Accounting
- MSc Economics and Management
- MSc Management Information Systems and Digital Innovation
- MSc Management and Strategy
- MSc Financial Mathematics
- MSc Economics and Philosophy
The three scholarships will each provide the cost of full fees for the eligible programmes and provide a maintenance stipend for living costs.
Application – Standard Bank Derek Cooper Africa Scholarships 2020
To apply for LSE funding for programmes beginning in September 2020, you must:
- Submit your application for the programme (See how to apply for graduate study at LSE)
- Submit your Graduate Financial Support Application Form via the Graduate application tracker including completing Section G: Personal Statement.
- Andreceive an offer of a place (conditional or unconditional)
For more information, visit Standard Bank Derek Cooper Africa Scholarships.