This is a complete SIWES report carried out at UNILAG Library
LOCATION AND BRIEF HISTORY OF THE ESTABLISHMENT
The library first started on the third floor of a former secondary school building which then temporarily housed the University at Idi-Araba while a plan for the building of the University’s permanent site at the north-east of Yaba adjoining the lagoon was accelerated. The .temporary accommodation was used till August 1965 when the library moved to its present building.
The first University Librarian was Miss Elizabeth M. Moys. She held the office from 1963 to 1965. She began the development of the library collections with the active collaboration of some academic staff. Materials on reference and other subjects to support the teaching and research efforts of the academic community were required.
The building then was centrally air-conditioned. It was also designed to have a bindery, photocopying unit, audio-visual section, lecture theatre and other basic facilities expected in a University library of the best standing. The Indian Merchants Association of Lagos later donated some money and grant-in-aid for the establishment of the Gandhi Library which is now popularly known as the Gandhi Memorial Research collections.
The University of Lagos library could be described as one of the most vibrant and standard academic library one could ever thought of in Nigeria and Africa at large. The library which is an academic one has the motive of serving the information needs of its immediate community. The level of clientel served by the library ranges from students (undergraduate and post graduate), staff (academic and non-academic), reseachers, external users and other meaning person outside the university community. The libray which is now located on the permanent site of the university, have various departmental and faculty library as a sub. The likes of these are:
- Faculty of Education library
- Faculty of Business Administration library
- Faculty of Engineering library
- College of Medicine library etc
The importance of the library to the University as the nerve-centre of academic activities made it one of the targets of meaningful development.
- Organizations that offer paid industrial training experience
- Download SIWES Report – Farm Practical Training
- 1300 Math Formulas by Alex Svirin
- DOWNLOAD SIWES REPORT – JOHN BOSCO INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
- DOWNLOAD SIWES REPORT – NIIT CALABAR CENTER
OBJECTIVES OF THE ESTABLISHMENT
The objectives of the library could be said to be the objectives of all academic library. It is in this view that the University of Lagos has the following to be its objectives.
- The main purpose of the library is to support the objectives of the university in the area of learning, teaching, research and service.
- To provide information materials that are needed for learning all the courses offered in the university.
- To provide all resources needed for carrying out effective learning and research activities.
- To provide information sources for the purpose of extra – mural studies, recreation, entertainment and general studies.
- To serve as a depository of the university publications and all other national publications.
Click on the button below to download