Download Pharmacology and the Nursing Process – Let this outstanding pharmacology text(Pharmacology and the Nursing Process) help you learn how to administer drugs safely and effectively! Now in its eighth edition, Pharmacology and the Nursing Process continues to deliver the perfect amount of pharmacology, prioritization, and nursing process information to today’s nursing students.
Table of Contents
Pharmacology and the Nursing Process PDF
Centering on its unique key drug approach, this text focuses only on the drug information you need to safely administer drugs. The text also continues to emphasize the nursing process and prioritization, covering the most essential assessments, nursing diagnoses, interventions, and evaluations you need to practice effectively. New to this edition is even more coverage of QSEN competencies, simpler language, and a wealth of reader-friendly features and innovative learning aids. Along with its integrated NCLEX preparation and insightful learning strategies, you won’t find a more complete pharmacology text on the market!
Features of Pharmacology and the Nursing Process
- NEW! Additional QSEN coverage incorporates more QSEN information throughout the text.
- Applicable QSEN competencies added to text case study titles
- Collaboration and teamwork content added to selected case studies
- Addition of new Safety: What Went Wrong? case studies
- Explanation of QSEN initiatives as it relates to safety and quality of patient care is included in the Medication Errors chapter
- NEW! Improved readability is aided by more friendly, direct-address language; shorter sentences; simplified language (where appropriate); and much more.
- An extensive Photo Atlas of Drug Administration features more than 100 step-by-step illustrations depicting key steps in drug administration for various routes of drug administration.
- UNIQUE! QSEN focus highlights those aspects of the book ― such as boxes, tips, case studies, and other content ― that correlate with the QSEN competencies.
- Popular key drug approach focuses on the need-to-know content for safe clinical practice and uses a streamlined approach to drug indications, emphasizing only the most common or serious adverse effects.
- Integrated NCLEX® Examination preparation includes seven NCLEX Examination review questions in every chapter, with at least one alternate-format item per chapter.
- Thorough application of the nursing process is addressed in each chapter to help readers learn how to prioritize nursing care to focus on the most essential assessments, nursing diagnosis, interventions, and evaluation/outcome criteria.
- Colorful and consistent learner-friendly format utilizes a variety of tables and practical body systems organization to help readers integrate pharmacology content with what they are learning in medical-surgical and adult health nursing courses.
- Focus on prioritization includes prioritized nursing diagnoses along with corresponding prioritization of goals and outcomes, helping readers learn to connect nursing diagnoses to goals and outcomes.
- Large collection of reader-friendly learning aids includes approachable text elements such as:
- Cartoon-illustrated learning strategies covering study, time management, and test-taking tips related to studying pharmacology.
- Drug profiles highlighting specific information on commonly-used agents.
- Case studies that help bring patients to life and promote critical thinking skills.
- Dosages tables providing instant access to dosages, routes, and indications for individual drugs.
- Key points summarizing key pharmacology and nursing content in each chapter.
- Critical thinking and prioritization questions encourage readers to think on a deeper level.
- More than 250 full-color photos and illustrations show how drugs work in the body and how to administer medications safely and effectively.
- NEW! Updated learning strategies include strategies for incorporating technology and active learning.
- NEW! Exclamation point icon identifies ISMP high-alert drugs.
- NEW! Diamond icons indicate key drugs in the Dosage tables.
Table of Contents
PART 1: PHARMACOLOGY BASICS
Learning Strategies: Introduction to Student Learning Strategies for Pharmacology
1. The Nursing Process and Drug Therapy
2. Pharmacologic Principles
3. Lifespan Considerations
4. Cultural, Legal, and Ethical Considerations
5. Medication Errors: Preventing and Responding
6. Patient Education and Drug Therapy
7. Over-the-Counter Drugs and Herbal and Dietary Supplements
8. Gene Therapy and Pharmacogenomics
9. Photo Atlas of Drug Administration
PART 2: DRUGS AFFECTING THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM
Learning Strategies: Nursing Process, Assessment, Nursing Diagnoses, and Evaluation
10. Analgesic Drugs
11. General and Local Anesthetics
12. Central Nervous System Depressants and Muscle Relaxants
13. Central Nervous System Stimulants and Related Drugs
14. Antiepileptic Drugs
15. Antiparkinson Drugs
16. Psychotherapeutic Drugs
17. Substance Abuse
PART 3: DRUGS AFFECTING THE AUTONOMIC NERVOUS SYSTEM
Learning Strategies: Reading: Vocabulary, Text Notation, and Enhanced Typeface
18. Adrenergic Drugs
19. Adrenergic-Blocking Drugs
20. Cholinergic Drugs
21. Cholinergic-Blocking Drugs
PART 4: DRUGS AFFECTING THE CARDIOVASCULAR AND RENAL SYSTEMS
Learning Strategies: Study Time: Learning Styles, The Use of Apps, Mnemonics, Flash Cards
22. Antihypertensive Drugs
23. Antianginal Drugs
24. Heart Failure Drugs
25. Antidysrhythmic Drugs
26. Coagulation Modifier Drugs
27. Antilipemic Drugs
28. Diuretic Drugs
29. Fluids and Electrolytes
PART 5: DRUGS AFFECTING THE ENDOCRINE AND REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEMS
Learning Strategies: Making the Most of Group Studying: Study Groups, Chat Rooms, Discussion Groups
30. Pituitary Drugs
31. Thyroid and Antithyroid Drugs
32. Antidiabetic Drugs
33. Adrenal Drugs
34. Women’s Health Drugs
35. Men’s Health Drugs
PART 6: DRUGS AFFECTING THE RESPIRATORY SYSTEM
Learning Strategies: Time Management and Practice Questions
36. Antihistamines, Decongestants, Antitussives, and Expectorants
37. Respiratory Drugs
PART 7: ANTIINFECTIVE AND ANTIINFLAMMATORY DRUGS
Learning Strategies: Performance Evaluation and Improvement, NCLEX Practice
38. Antibiotics Part 1
39. Antibiotics Part 2
40. Antiviral Drugs
41. Antitubercular Drugs
42. Antifungal Drugs
43. Antimalarial, Antiprotozoal, and Anthelmintic Drugs
44. Antiinflammatory and Antigout Drugs
PART 8: CHEMOTHERAPEUTIC DRUGS AND BIOLOGIC AND IMMUNE MODIFIERS
Learning Strategies: Application of Pharmacology and Making Connections
45. Antineoplastic Drugs Part 1: Cancer Overview and Cell Cycle–Specific Drugs
46. Antineoplastic Drugs Part 2: Cell Cycle–Nonspecific Drugs and Miscellaneous Drugs
47. Biologic Response–Modifying and Antirheumatic Drugs
48. Immunosuppressant Drugs
49. Immunizing Drugs
PART 9: DRUGS AFFECTING THE GASTROINTESTINAL SYSTEM AND NUTRITION
Learning Strategies: Active Questioning, Studying for Tests, and Test Taking Strategies
50. Acid-Controlling Drugs
51. Bowel Disorder Drugs
52. Antiemetic and Antinausea Drugs
53. Vitamins and Minerals
54. Anemia Drugs
55. Nutritional Supplements
PART 10: DERMATOLOGIC, OPHTHALMIC, AND OTIC DRUGS
Learning Strategies: Future Application
56. Dermatologic Drugs
57. Ophthalmic Drugs
58. Otic Drugs
Appendix: Pharmaceutical Abbreviations
Pharmacology and the Nursing Process Free Ebook Download
Related to Pharmacology and the Nursing Process
Details – Pharmacology and the Nursing Process
No. of pages: 992Language: EnglishCopyright: © Mosby 2017Published: 15th December 2015Imprint: MosbyeBook ISBN: 9780323359023eBook ISBN: 9780323358989
About the Author
Linda Lane Lilley, PhD, RN
Affiliations and Expertise
Associate Professor Emeritus, School of Nursing, Old Dominion University, Virginia Beach, VA
Shelly Rainforth Collins
Shelly Rainforth Collins, PharmD
Affiliations and Expertise
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist and Coordinator of Clinical Pharmacy Services, Chesapeake Regional Medical Center; President, Drug Information Consultants, Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Julie S. Snyder, MSN, RN-BC
Affiliations and Expertise
Lecturer, School of Nursing, Regent University, Virginia Beach, Virginia