The Oprah Winfrey Charitable Foundation (OWCF) was founded by Oprah Winfrey and it supports students, families, and communities all over the world with a specific focus on youth education. OWCF’s mission is to lead, educate, uplift, inspire, and empower women and children throughout the world, opening doors of education. Educating women to define themselves and what it would mean to lead their best life and fulfil their possibility for greatness. OWCF is a lasting commitment to teaching, learning, and growing.
Oprah Winfrey Charitable Foundation (OWCF) has over the years contributed millions in scholarships, intending to aid promising youth on their journey toward success to lift vulnerable and underserved communities out of poverty and empower people to reach their fullest potential.
Some OWCF’s scholarships for youths include:
- Oprah Winfrey Scholars Program (OWSP)
- Oprah Winfrey Leaders Scholarship (OWLS)
- Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy (OWLAG)
Table of Contents
The Oprah Winfrey Endowed Scholars Program, one of the scholarships programs provided by the Oprah Winfrey Charitable Foundation (OWCF) provides financial support, leadership development experiences, and service opportunities for students with weighty financial needs, demonstrate strong academic potential, and with an interest in and commitment to community service. OWSP seeks to develop community and global leaders through leadership development and service experiences during the academic year and provides an opportunity to travel to South Africa during the summer to engage in service and leadership experiences.
Host School(s): Morehouse College
Award Value: Fully Funded
An applicant must fulfill the following requirements to be eligible for selection as an Oprah Winfrey Scholar
- Must possess a minimum High School GPA of 3.2 or 3.0 Morehouse College GPA
- Have an EFC (expected family contribution) of $5,000 or less. With an attached proof copy
- Applicants should have a combined SAT of 1200 or ACT of 26
- A demonstrated commitment to service.
Specific service requirements of program participation will change each year.
- Students will be expected to serve as mentors for middle and high school students, serve as implementers of a leadership program at local middle and high schools during their matriculation at Morehouse College.
- Students are expected to participate in other service activities with Oprah Scholars.
- Scholars must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and complete 15 credit hours each semester. Fulfilling program participation requirements is necessary to maintain the scholarship.
Applications for the Oprah Winfrey Scholars Program are open each spring. Only applications from eligible incoming freshmen and students who meet the eligibility criteria would be attended to by the Oprah Winfrey Scholars Program office. New scholars are selected by May of each year to begin participation in the fall. Apply to the Oprah Winfrey Scholar program here
Oprah Winfrey in a webinar on the 15th of Aug 2021 surprised 14 students with her newly launched scholarship program the Oprah Winfrey Leaders Scholarship (OWLS)
According to the OWCF website, “The program supports academically gifted students who demonstrate leadership in their communities. The scholarship awards students with educational support to become future leaders. Beyond providing scholarship assistance, OWLS creates a network between the students and offers unique access to speakers and thought leaders in various fields” These scholarships are funded by the Oprah Winfrey Charitable Foundation in collaboration with the Herrendorf Family Foundation.
Oprah Winfrey Leaders Scholarship (“OWLS”) Program is a newly launched scholarship. Students were selected after a “rigorous” process however the OWLS Program awards scholarship grants to graduating high school students to help them pursue higher education at accredited U.S. colleges and universities. Application for 2022 is through personal video submissions and recommendations from applicant teachers, mentors, coaches, and school administrators, all of whom have witnessed their growth as a scholar, and as future leaders. Visit the official website for more information. here
Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy offers scholarships to young girls in South Africa coming from financially handicapped families. Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls was established in 2007, and has over time graduated over 525 young women from the academy, attended top universities in South Africa, the United States, and Europe, and have begun on their mission to change the world. Oprah Winfrey, who was also born into poverty in the Jim Crow south, says, “I wanted to build a school for girls like me.” She describes an OWLAG girl as having “an indefinable quality of tenacity, charisma, and smarts.”
Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls is a female boarding school located in Johannesburg, South Africa, a special learning school with 300 students enrolled in Grade 8 -12. The main objective of the academy is to provide educational and leadership opportunities, for academically gifted girls from impoverished backgrounds, all the eligible students can apply on or before the deadline. Students of any race, colour, national origin to all the rights, privileges, programs are admitted into the academy and all activities accorded or made available to students at the Academy.
- Are South African citizens or permanent residents
- Have an academic talent with Leadership potential along with that student currently in the grade of 7, 8, or 9.
- Student annual family income should be less than R10,000 per month
How to Apply
Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls Scholarship 2022 Application process is as follows
- Download the application form through the official website http://owlag.co.za and fill the application form correctly
- Attach all the supporting documents to the application form.
OWLAG Scholarship 2022 Award Supporting Documents include
- A copy of the Birth Certificate
- A copy of the School report
- A copy of Household income
Completed application forms can be sent by post to the following address on or before the deadline.
534 Wargrave South Henley on Klip 1961 South Africa
+27 (016) 336-9009
The OWLAG Scholarship Award Annual selection process for Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls scholarship is done in 4 stages. Only successful students will be awarded a scholarship.
- Stage 1: First Entrance examination
- Stage 2: Successful students from the initially conducted testing will be eligible for more extensive testing – Academic and Leadership Potential
- Stage 3: Invitation via email for clinical Interviews, medical fitness, and a range of psychological assessments
- Stage 4: Successful candidates are subjected to official home visits and then registration
For more information visit: The Offical Scholarship website