Table of Contents
In Dependence by Sarah Ladipo Manyika – It is the early sixties when a young Tayo Ajayi sails to England from Nigeria to take up a scholarship at Oxford University. In this city of dreaming spires, he finds himself among a generation high on visions of a new and better world. The whole world seems ablaze with change: independence at home, the Civil Rights movement and the first tremors of cultural and sexual revolutions. It is then that Tayo meets Vanessa Richardson, the beautiful
daughter of an ex-colonial officer. In Dependence is Tayo and Vanessa’s story of a brave but bittersweet love affair. It is the story of two people struggling to find themselves and each other – a story of passion and idealism, courage and betrayal, and the universal desire to fall, madly, deeply, in love
About the Author
Sarah Ladipo Manyika was raised in Nigeria and has lived in Kenya, France, and England. She holds a Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley, and for several years taught literature at San Francisco State University. Sarah currently serves on the boards of Hedgebrook and the Museum of the African Diaspora in San Francisco. Sarah is a Patron of the Etisalat Prize for Literature and host to OZY’s video series “Write.” Her second novel Like a Mule Bringing Ice Cream to the Sun was shortlisted for the 2016 Goldsmiths Prize.
REVIEWS FROM OUR FACEBOOK COMMUNITY
- Kelvin Ugonna Onwuka INDEPENDENCE Is a story of a brave but bittersweet love affair spanning three continents and four turbulent decades.
- Olivia Ollie – No matter where the universe throws you, you’d always find love
- Mubarak Shuaib – INDEPENDENCE by Sahara ladipo Mayinka talks about a boy( tayo) who managed to make his way through in the absence of his family.
- Faruq Olaitan Yusuf – In dependence is a story about the ultimate goal which is to make impact in life and a love that could never be subdued no matter how far or how long
- Okonkwo Nodebechukwu Promise – This is a story which spans three continents and four turbulent decades, its that of a brave but bittersweet love affair which transpired between tayo a Nigerian man and Vanessa the daughter of a ex colonial officer and also, It is the story of individuals struggling to find their place within uncertain political times ” a story of passion and idealism, courage and betrayal”.
- Saka Okikiola – In Dependence is a bittersweet love story between Tayo and Vanessa (the main acts of the story).
Have you read this book? Share your thoughts on this book in the comment section
I was really touched after reading this book.It was tragcomedy love it