How to get a Job at Chevron Nigeria 2022
Chevron Corporation is an American multinational energy corporation with a worldwide presence in over 27 countries and 3 continents. Nigeria is one of the largest oil-producing states in Africa hence an important part of Chevron’s operation in the manufacture and sales of a range of high-quality refined products, from gasoline, premium base oil, diesel, marine and aviation fuels, finished lubricants, down to fuel oil additives. It is located at 2 Chevron Drive, Lekki Penninsula II 12825, Lekki, Lagos Nigeria
Chevron is one of Nigeria’s largest investors and employers of labour in the energy and petroleum sector. One of Chevron’s largest exploration and production operations is located in Nigeria and its key operations in Nigeria include exploration, blending, production, manufacturing and marketing. In Nigeria, Chevron operates under a joint-venture arrangement with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) for the onshore and offshore assets in the Niger Delta region. It also has extensive interests in multi-partner deepwater operations. Their field of operation is the Agbami Field, one of Nigeria’s largest deepwater discoveries and a non-operated interest in the Usan Field.
It is thus no wonder why job positions and opportunities are highly sought after by Nigerians as not only does chevron offer an opportunity for career growth and travel, they offer very competitive benefits and compensation within the Nigerian labour market and also meet the needs of employees working and living in Nigeria.
Chevron Nigeria has a different job hiring and selection process from other multinational corporations with operations in Nigeria. To get a job at Chevron, either as a graduate of any engineering profession, accounting, economics, or biological and physical sciences, you need the guide this article offers.
Table of Contents
As earlier stated, the job selection and hiring process differ at Chevron. Chevron values integrity, trust, diversity and ingenuity as a company and therefore seeks to employ workers in this light. This policy is to afford equal opportunity to qualified individuals regardless of religion, sex, age, disability, or veteran status. Experienced professionals or people applying for internship positions at Chevron Nigeria are not discriminated against and are given a fair chance of application.
- The course of Study: The key step to getting hired in any organisation is to ensure it aligns with your current or finished course of study. Although most multinationals do not specify courses, your application stands a better chance of being reviewed and pushing you to the next hiring stage if your current or finished course of study aligns with the firm.
- Curriculum Vitae: A well written and organised CV is another key step in any application process. A person can be accessed from his or her CV either behaviorally or intellectually. Use it as a platform to present yourself and demonstrate your achievements. If you do not know how to make the most of your CV, do not hesitate to reach out to human resource agencies who specialise in making a CV is acceptable
You can use these tips to help you present yourself in the best possible way:
- Make sure your CV is up to date
- Try to restrict it to two pages and keep the layout simple
- Use headings like ‘Education’ and ‘Career history to highlight different sections
- Don’t make general statements about yourself – support them with evidence. For example, explain what you have done that illustrates the qualities you have
- Try to link your skills and experience to the requirements of the role you’re applying for
- Make sure you have an updated LinkedIn profile to make filling out the application form faster.
Your CV should contain the information below in a concise and organised way
Personal details: Your full name, email address and phone number, make sure the full name you provide is the same full name written in other official documents.
Educational details: These should be listed in reverse chronological order, your most recent education first. Include the name of the institutions, the dates you were enrolled, and the qualifications you obtained or will obtain when you graduate. It is important to also outline the relevant modules, the projects and dissertations you delivered, the grades you have achieved, and the professional skills you have developed.
Career history and professional experience: Do not undermine any experience gathered whether they were paid, voluntary or shadowing, put them all there in reverse chronological order with dates to show how long you remained in a particular role. Mention what you had achieved when handling various roles and the skills and competencies acquired.
Achievements and outside interests: Include this information to show that you’re a rounded person with a balanced approach to life. Focus on recent examples, describing what you contributed and learned, and how you did this.
- Learn to Apply: Chevron has different business operations in countries around the world, which offers you diverse opportunities for continued growth – both professionally and personally. Use the online job search tool to search for open positions using a keyword or area of interest. You will be first required to create an applicant’s profile and upload your CV this will give recruiters an idea of skills and qualifications. When the application for a position is closed, the staffing team will screen applicants and provide the hiring manager with a list of qualified applicants to review. Use correct details to create this profile such as correct names, valid email and contact number. Chevron’s hiring team will use these means to contact you. If you have someone working with Chevron ask for an employee referral this will give you a higher employment advantage.
- Interview: If your application is successful, and the hiring team feels your background meets the job requirements, you may be asked to an interview. There may be additional testing depending on the role applied for or necessity. It is important you prepare for your interview. Here are some tips
- Extensive research on Chevron and the job role you applied for. Knowing the safety procedures of visiting a Chevron campus is very important as you will be asked to review them before you arrive.
- Be on time. It is advised you show up way earlier than your scheduled time. Chevron Nigeria is a large facility, so it may take a while for verification and pass through security. Do not forget to bring a valid form of photo identification
- During your interview “sell” yourself. Focus on recent examples, describing what you contributed and learned, and how you did this. Be specific, make sure these examples are result oriented and answer the particular question asked. These kinds of questions are called “behavioural questions’ ‘ so research on some examples of these questions and study how to answer them correctly and smartly.
- DO NOT BE SHY. Recruiters are more fascinated by curious candidates so ask relevant questions on your job roles and company expectations if employed. It is also a good time to discuss benefits and compensations.
- Feedback: It may take several weeks to get feedback from Chevron due to the tons of applications received. However, if you get the job, you will be expected to go for tests which include fitness tests, drug tests etc some training depending on the job role. If you weren’t successful do not be discouraged, you can always reapply using the profile you created before.
Best of Luck!
Chevron in Nigeria: https://www.chevron.com/worldwide/nigeria
Professionals- Hiring Process: https://careers.chevron.com/professionals/hiring-process