God’s Generals: The Missionaries – They Served God to the Ends of the Earth In his fifth God’s Generals volume, Roberts Liardon chronicles some of the great evangelists who risked their lives to take the gospel message to strange and unknown cultures around the world, including…
- Nikolaus Ludwig von Zinzendorf—the Austrian nobleman whose passion for Christ ushered in the Moravian revival of the 1700s.
- David Brainerd—the young American colonist who sacrificially reached out to Native Americans.
- William Carey—the British shoemaker and Bible translator whose passion to reach India birthed a missionary revolution.
- David Livingstone—the explorer who crossed the “unknown continent” and opened the heart of Africa to the gospel.
- Adoniram Judson—the “Father of American Missions,” who endured tragedy to reach the people of Burma.
- Hudson Taylor—the first missionary to use the phrase “Great Commission,” who pioneered the China Inland Mission, transforming millions of lives along the way.
- Hiram Bingham—the first Protestant missionary, who spent twenty years serving Christ in what is now Hawaii.
- Amy Carmichael—the selfless Irish missionary who dedicated her life to the forsaken children of India.
- Jonathan Goforth—the passionate Canadian revivalist who brought salvation and healing to hundreds of thousands of Chinese people.
The sacrifice and courage of these spiritual pioneers are sure to stoke the fires of your faith and revive within your heart a spirit of evangelism and compassion for the lost.
Table of Contents
The God’s Generals series of books are some of the most important books in my library. I consider them to be required reading for our people. This volume on The Missionaries will no doubt inspire a wave of new sold-out lovers of God to invade the nations of the world, ready to pay any price to spread this wonderful
gospel of the kingdom. God’s Generals carries such profound importance because it provides us with perspective, it creates an awareness of a God-inspired momentum, and it ignites a hunger for what might be possible again in our lifetimes. Author Roberts Liardon does an amazing job of recalibrating our need for true heroes, while, at the same time, addressing weaknesses, shortcomings, and even failures of these great missionary leaders. He does this all without slander or even downgrading the importance of their roles in history. I love this transparent approach, and I highly recommend this volume for all who consider themselves disciples of Jesus Christ.
–Bill Johnson, Bethel Church, Redding, California, Author, When Heaven Invades Earth and Hosting the Presence
Roberts Liardon has written an extremely well-researched book, God’s Generals: The Missionaries. These biographies awakened many memories of the joys and hardships Rolland and I have experienced as missionaries. As a skilled storyteller, Roberts weaves factual accounts with everyday struggles, heartaches, and victories. Our great pioneers of faith had two common threads: lives bathed in much prayer, and guidance by the Holy Spirit. God’s Generals will show you how to lay down your life and consider everything a loss compared to knowing Jesus. This is a book I will put in my library.
–Heidi G. Baker, Ph.D., Cofounder and Director, Iris Global
As one of the modern-day historians in the body of Christ, Roberts Liardon has brought forth another great jewel in his God’s Generals series. Some of my mentors over the years have been books. The lives portrayed in this classic book on pioneering missionaries will surely join my “Hall of Heroes.” The shadow of these humble and sacrificial lives in Christ is being cast once again upon the lives of many people because of this amazing author. Thank you, Roberts, for being faithful to your task!
–James W. Goll, Founder, Encounters Network and Prayer Storm, Author, The Seer, A Radical Faith, and The Coming Israel Awakening
Roberts Liardon has done an exceptional job compiling the life and testimonies of these mighty missionaries for God, who burned with a deep desire to reach the lost and to demonstrate Christ’s love. These pages are filled with the dreams, hopes, faith, struggles, and hardships that they faced on their journey to go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. I highly recommend God’s Generals: The Missionaries.
–Dr. Ché Ahn, Apostle, Harvest Apostolic Center, Pasadena, California, Senior Pastor, HRock Church
President, Harvest International Ministry International Chancellor, Wagner Leadership Institute
We also Recommend
- The Dark Foundations by Chris Walley PDF
- Why God Won’t Go Away by Alister E. McGrath PDF
- Under an Indigo Moon by JL Crosswhite Pdf
- Beau of the Ball by Carol Moncado Pdf
- A Little Bit of Auras by Cassandra Eason Pdf
- Good Omens by Neil Gaiman Pdf
- Becoming Us by Robin Jones Gunn Pdf
- Lamb by Christopher Moore Pdf
- Transcendent Kingdom Pdf
- New Morning Mercies by Paul David Tripp Pdf
About the Author
Born in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Roberts Liardon is a leading Protestant church historian. He founded Roberts Liardon Ministries, along with Embassy Christian Center, Embassy Ministerial Association, Spirit Life Bible College, and Operation 500. He also founded the Reformers and Revivalists Historical Museum.
At seventeen, Liardon published his first book, I Saw Heaven, which sold over 1.5 million copies and catapulted him into the public eye. To date, Liardon’s books, including the God’s Generals series, have sold over 15 million copies worldwide and have been translated into more than sixty languages. Liardon’s DVD series God’s Generals became one of the bestselling Christian DVD series in history.
Having ministered in over 125 countries to members of the public and to world leaders, Liardon is also recognized internationally. In addition to being an author and a church historian, he is a public speaker, a spiritual leader, and a humanitarian. Liardon continues to manage and expand his international headquarters in Sarasota, Florida, and his office in London, England.