UBA FOUNDATION NATIONAL ESSAY COMPETITION 2018 – APPLY

Home of Academia Forums Scholarships/Grants/Competitions UBA FOUNDATION NATIONAL ESSAY COMPETITION 2018 – APPLY

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  arthur peace 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

arthur peace
    Keymaster
    Book Coins: 6,749

UBA Foundation National Essay Competition 2018 – UBA Foundation, the CRS arm of the United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc, invites applications from

Senior Secondary school students in Nigeria for:

UBA Foundation National Essay Competition 2018

Summary

The competition which is a follow up on the Foundation’s Read Africa Initiative, provides a competitive platform to develop the intellectual and writing abilities of senior secondary school students in Nigeria. Winners get educational grants to study in any African University of their choice. The competion has been held annually since 2011 with students challenged to write on different engaging topics to test their writing and cognitive skills.

Essay Topic
    What Is The Biggest Environmental Issue You Think Your Generation Will Face? How Can It Be Avoided And How Can It Be Solved?

Prizes to Be Won

• 1st Prize: N2,000,000 or its local currency equivalent towards university tuition/ fees
    • 2nd Prize: N1,500,000 or its local currency equivalent towards university tuition/ fees
    • 3rd Prize: N1,000,000 or its local currency equivalent towards university tuition/ fees

Requirement

• Applicants must be senior secondary school students schooling in Nigeria.

Application Closing Date
    2nd November, 2018.

Method of Application
    Interested and qualified candidates should send their Entries to:
    UBA Foundation,
    UBA House,
    57 Marina,
    Lagos State.

Or
    Applications can also be sent to any UBA Office in Nigeria

Izuchukwu Favour
    Participant
    Book Coins: 0

interested

arthur peace
    Keymaster

Quickly apply for it

Mercy Akin
    Participant
    Book Coins: 34

I am interested in the Essay

My Name is Akin Mercy

I am  13 years old  and I am in SS1

The Name of my school is Great Child Educational Centre, Port Harcourt, Rivers State

I hail from Edo State.

arthur peace
    Keymaster

Write an essay on the topic above and submit at any UBA Office

Li Za
    Participant
    Book Coins: 23

water is one of the most important resources for all kinds of living organisms including humans.As a result,water pollution is dangerous to the health of all living beings.
    Particularly,fresh water pollution can have devastating health effect as this is the source of portable water to many Nigerian communities.
    Generally,the main types of water pollution include:
    Agricultural based water pollution
    Domestic water pollution
    Industrial water pollution
    oil spill water pollution
    In the case of oil spillage,the factories operating primarily in the oil region are responsible for this contamination.
    The activities of these companies have adversely affected the neighbouring communities.In fact,the ecology of the region where crude oil is extracted which is the Gulf of Guinea has affected the natural processes of oil dispersing which has led to a destruction of biological resources in the territorial waters of Nigeria .
    Subsequently,this has affected over twenty rivers which are linked directly and indirectly to these regions.Most time,damaged pipelines are responsible for the spills that affect this area.
    In terms of water pollution,the country needs to go beyond setting up an agency but to also allocate substantial amount of money into the restoration of the environment.
    The government can also implement sanctions,fines and punishment for these environment degrading acts.

Blessing David
    Participant
    Book Coins: 38

Interested

Moghalu Paul
    Participant
    Book Coins: 26

hello, how can i register/submit my essay?

Chijioke Udom
    Participant
    Book Coins: 21

Good day,

Please is it possible to submit online with details of the sender. My home is far from the nearest UBA branch.

Thank you

arthur peace
    Keymaster

I don’t think there is an option for online submission

arthur peace
    Keymaster

Check this out

uba foundation essay competition

Odion Iyoha
    Participant
    Book Coins: 37

Environmental issues are harmful effects of human activity on the biophysical environment. Major current environmental issues may include climate change, pollution, environmental degradation and resource depletion etc. The conservation movement lobbies for protection of endangered species and protection of any ecologically valuable natural areas, genetically modified foods and global warming.
    The environmental problems like global warming, acid rain, air pollution, urban sprawl, waste disposal, ozone layer depletion, water pollution, climate change and many more affect every human, animal and nation on this planet.
    In 13 Jan 2017, Air, soil, and water all have the capability to be polluted. Pollution poses a current and future threats to people and the environment. polluted air weakens the ozone layer and causes health problems. contaminated soil destroys habitats and irrigation you might remember the exxon Valdez spill in Alaska in 1989. If not, this was one of the worst oil spill in history. In the Niger Delta there has been an Exxon Valdez spill every year for 50 years. This gives the Niger Delta the unpleasant honor of being one of the most polluted places on earth.
    More than 70 percent of the people of the Niger Delta rely on natural resources. They are fishermen and farmers. In 2014 the UN Environmental program(UNEP)documented the consequences of oil pollution in Ogoniland, one part of the Delta severely damaged by spills.
    Environmental problems arises due to our irresponsibility towards our nation but not for solar, wind, EV’s, or batteries and we should avoid using them for that, and we can prevent environmental issues by painting your house using a latex paint. Don’t top off your gas tank. Conserve energy. Don’t burn your yard waste. Plant a tree and always park your car. These are the best ways of avoiding environmental issues. We can also solve environmental issues.
    Completely turn off equipment like televisions and stereos when you are not using
    them. choose energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs. save water :some simple steps can go a long time in saving water like, like turning off the tap when you are brushing your teeth or shaving. scientific assessment: Problem defined, hypothesis mode, model constructed. Risk analysis :potential effects or various interventions.
    Public engagement: changing public attitudes. political considerations: implement course of action. Long term environmental management :results of action carefully monitored.

arthur peace
    Keymaster

Submit your essay at any UBA OFFICE

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.