The Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree (EMJMD) is a well known, high level, integrated, international study programme, designed and implemented in conjunction with several consortiums of higher education institutions from different countries worldwide.
This programme’s application is open to students at the Master’s level from all over the world.
Most institutions require applications to be submitted between October and January for courses starting in the next academic year.
Erasmus+ (the EU’s programme to support education) funds scholarships for students to take part in the scholarship programmes. The master’s programmes in different institutions themselves offer these scholarships to excellent student applicants worldwide, in an annual rotation application schedule.
- International students at the Master’s level may apply for the Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree.
- Applicants must have obtained a first higher education degree or demonstrate a recognised equivalent level of learning, according to national legislation and practices, in the degree awarding countries.
- Students in the final year of their first degree studies and will graduate before the master’s programme starts may also apply
Over 149 courses are offered by the EMJMD. Have a look at the online Catalogue of Erasmus Mundus masters programmes, it lists the Master’s programmes that are offering Erasmus Mundus-funded scholarships for the academic year 2021-2022.
EMJMD scholarships are fully funded. EU scholarships cover the cost of a student’s participation in the programme, travel, and a living allowance.
Programme duration and Activities
- Erasmus Mundus joint masters programmes last from a minimum of 12 months to a maximum of 24 months. Although the majority are 24-month programmes.
- Student study period must comprise at least 2 study periods in 2 countries(different from your country of residence). Programmes offer different flexible study tracks that meet this condition.
- The successful completion of the study programme will lead to the award of either a joint degree (i.e. one single degree certificate issued on behalf of at least two higher education institutions of the EMJMD consortium) or multiple degrees (i.e. at least two-degree certificates issued by two higher education institutions of the consortium).
- It is important that applicants should consult the online Catalogue of Erasmus Mundus masters programmes. Every programme’s website contains all the information you need on content, deadlines, entry requirements and the universities and their locations to help you decide if this is the right programme for you.
- The programme’s website is easy to navigate and will take you through all the steps of the online application process.
- A new batch of selected Erasmus Mundus Masters courses is added to the list each summer as most consortia require applications to be submitted between October and January, in preparation for courses starting the following academic year.
- Higher academic performance: Due to the unique learning methods employed during this programme, a higher proportion of those who study abroad have been found to achieve an outstanding result as compared with those who stay in one place.
- Promotes interpersonal and bilingual skills: A recent study showed that students taking part in Erasmus develop improved personal and soft skills, self-confidence, intercultural understanding and maturity due to their time spent abroad. As these graduates are increasingly working in multi-lingual and international teams, these kinds of skills are vital.
- Wider employment prospects: Alumni of Erasmus programmes have over 44% likelihood to hold managerial positions than their peers 10 years after graduation. Also, students who have done an Erasmus placement find opportunities to work more quickly after graduation.
- The EMA (Erasmus Mundus Association) is the alumni association specific to the joint master degrees. Click the website to see offers, advice and inspiration for applicants.
- The ESAA – Erasmus+ Student and Alumni Alliance offer Erasmus+ students and alumni a dynamic forum for networking, professional development and intercultural exchange.