Sabiston Textbook of Surgery – This distinguished reference carries on a 70-year legacy as the world’s most thorough, useful, readable, and understandable text on the principles and techniques of surgery. Its peerless contributors deliver all the well-rounded, state-of-the-art knowledge you need to richly grasp the pathophysiology and optimal management of every surgical condition―so you can make the best clinical decisions, avoid complications, manage unusual situations, and achieve the best possible outcomes.
It is a valuable review tool for certification/recertification preparation, and an indispensable source of guidance on overcoming the challenges that arise in everyday practice. As an Expert Consult title, the thoroughly updated 18th edition comes with access to the complete contents online, fully searchable―enabling you to consult it rapidly from any computer with an Internet connection. In addition, this Premium Edition includes timely clinical updates online, plus links to MEDLINE, downloadable illustrations, bonus journal articles, review questions, and much more.
- Offers a more distinguished team of contributors and a better blend of clinical and basic-science information than any other source, providing you with the best possible understanding of the clinical issues surrounding every operative situation.
- Features a more user-friendly format, a larger and more helpful array of full-color illustrations, and a more versatile and well-constructed web site than other resources―making the answers that you need easier to locate and understand quickly.
- Offers an organization and content that parallels the written board American Board of Surgery exam, providing excellent preparation for certification and recertification.
- Includes access to the complete contents online, fully searchable, PLUS timely updates to reflect new scientific and clinical developments · references linked to MEDLINE · downloadable illustrations · bonus articles from important surgery periodicals (such as Surgical Clinics of North America, the American Journal of Surgery, Operative Techniques in General Surgery, and Seminars in Colon and Rectal Surgery) · review questions · and other valuable features.
- Incorporates an enhanced emphasis on surgical outcomes to mirror the growing importance of this topic.
- Delivers comprehensive updates to keep you current with the latest research, techniques, and emerging procedures in the field, as well as completely new chapters on “Surgical Patient Safety” and “Regenerative Medicine.”
Your purchase entitles you to access the web site until the next edition is published, or until the current edition is no longer offered for sale by Elsevier, whichever occurs first. If the next edition is published less than one year after your purchase, you will be entitled to online access for one year from your date of purchase. Elsevier reserves the right to offer a suitable replacement product (such as a downloadable or CD-ROM-based electronic version) should access to the web site be discontinued.
Doody’s Rating: * * * * This textbook has matured significantly with the transition in editorial leadership which took place over the two previous editions. Retained chapters have been appropriately updated. New chapters reflect the current emphasis on surgical safety, new technologies, and unconventional civilian disasters.
Redundancy is limited to topics crossing chapters, such as shock.
Sabiston is a worthy tool for any student of surgery.
Weighted Numerical Score: 91
“The present text is the third edition for which the editorial board has been led by Courtney Townsend. It presents a full in-depth understanding of surgical disease. Not only is this edition the most extensive and inclusive of any of the previous editions, but it goes into areas into which few surgical textbook contributors have ventured. The book is laid out in color-coded sections that are easy to use. Even though the section titles are those commonly found in most other surgical textbooks, the material contained in each section’s cahpters is far more detailed and advanced in concept than is currently available elsewhere.” — JAMA, 2008
REVIEWS OF THE PREVIOUS EDITION:
“A superbly written clinical authority, replete with supportive basic science data and strong background in surgical history. It is an up-to-date textbook and invaluable reference for the practicing surgeon. This textbook is sure to take its place among the finest ever published for general surgeons.”―JAMA