Download Principles and Practice of Obstetrics & Gynecology for Postgraduates
Principles and Practice of Obstetrics & Gynecology– The popularity of Principles and Practice of Obstetrics and Gynecology for Postgraduates has made us come out with the fourth edition. In the rapidly advancing field of Obstetrics and Gynecology, new techniques, new treatments and modifications are happening rapidly.
A postgraduate student has to read many references, journals, Internet updates to keep abreast with all the rapid changes. This comprehensive multi-contributor book, compiled by the members and the examiners of our own Federation of Obstetric and Gynaecological Societies of India (FOGSI), and updated by newly passed postgraduates and young lecturers, provides an in-depth, researched write-up on all the issues of obstetrics and gynaecology.
Features – Principles and Practice of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- The book has a good hardbound cover with informative pictures of the fetus, the laparoscopic view of the uterus and fallopian tubes and a colour Doppler picture making it interesting reading. The paper is of exceptionally good quality with a good font size making it easy to read.
- The topics have been well spaced out with the first section on pre-pregnancy care which mainly covers the preventive and social aspects of maternity care. Chapter No. 5 which is on maternal exercises, yoga and dance therapy by Dr Maninder Ahuja is particularly interesting and addresses a topic not much covered hitherto.
- The second section is on medical disorders in pregnancy and covers the entire gamut of medical disorders associated with pregnancy. In the section on malaria in pregnancy, which is quite rampant in India, I feel some more information could be given on the newer drugs for antimalarial treatment and their use and safety in pregnancy. And with the dengue epidemics and high associated maternal mortality, maybe a chapter on dengue in pregnancy would be worthwhile. The chapter on thrombophilia in pregnancy is well elaborated and would be a useful guide in the management of patients with recurrent abortions.
- In the Section “Fetus as a patient,” the topics have been well covered including a section on fetal therapy. Also, the chapter on fetal echocardiography is a good addition considering the rise in the number of cases of congenital heart diseases.
- Section No 5 and 6 on intrapartum management and postpartum conditions are well covered. Particularly appreciable are the chapters “Modern Management of Breech presentation,” “Postpartum Psychiatric disorders” and “Postpartum exercises.” Also useful is the section No 6 on emergency in pregnancy which covers critical care in obstetrics and stresses the need for an obstetric ICU.
Obstetrics and gynaecology (British English) or obstetrics and gynecology (American English) is the medical specialty that encompasses the two subspecialties of obstetrics (covering pregnancy, childbirth, and the postpartum period) and gynaecology (covering the health of the female reproductive system – vagina, uterus, ovaries, and breasts). It’s commonly abbreviated as OB-GYN or OB/GYN in US English, and as obs and gynae or O&G in British English.
Postgraduate training programs for both fields are usually combined, preparing the practicing obstetrician-gynecologist to be adept both at the care of female reproductive organs’ health and at the management of pregnancy, although many doctors go on to develop subspecialty interests in one field or the other.
Content – Principles and Practice of Obstetrics & Gynecology
SECTION 1: Prepregnancy Care
SECTION 2: Medical Disorders in Pregnancy
SECTION 3: Fetus as a Patient
SECTION 4: Intrapartum Management
SECTION 5: Postpartum Conditions
SECTION 6: Emergency in Pregnancy
SECTION 7: Family Welfare and Contraception
SECTION 8: General Gynecology
SECTION 9: Endocrinology
SECTION 10: Infertility
SECTION 11: Imaging in Obstetrics and Gynecology
SECTION 12: Oncology
SECTION 13: Endoscopy
SECTION 14: Miscellaneous
SECTION 15: Recent Advances.