Chemistry for Pharmacy Students: General, Organic and Natural Product Chemistry
Chemistry for Pharmacy Students is a student-friendly introduction to the key areas of chemistry required by all pharmacy and pharmaceutical science students. The book provides a comprehensive overview of the various areas of general, organic and natural products chemistry (in relation to drug molecules).
Clearly structured to enhance student understanding, the book is divided into six clear sections. The book opens with an overview of general aspects of chemistry and their importance to modern life, with particular emphasis on medicinal applications.
The text then moves on to a discussion of the concepts of atomic structure and bonding and the fundamentals of stereochemistry and their significance to pharmacy- in relation to drug action and toxicity. Various aspects of aliphatic, aromatic and heterocyclic chemistry and their pharmaceutical importance are then covered with final chapters looking at organic reactions and their applications to drug discovery and development and natural products chemistry.
- accessible introduction to the key areas of chemistry required for all pharmacy degree courses
- student-friendly and written at a level suitable for non-chemistry students
- includes learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter
- focuses on the physical properties and actions of drug molecules
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Dr Satyajit Sarke BPharm (Hons) MPharm PhD FHEA. Reader in Pharmacy; Course Director, BSc (Hons) Pharmacology; Chair, MPharm Course Planning Committee; Chair, MSc Pharmaceutical Sciences Course Planning Committee; Owner and moderator: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/natprodis and www.jiscmail.ac.uk/pharmed; School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster at Coleraine, Northern Ireland, UK.
Dr Lutfun Nahar. School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster at Coleraine, Northern Ireland, UK.
REVIEWS – Chemistry for Pharmacy Students
“This book has succeeded in covering the basic chemistry essentials required by the pharmaceutical science student. With a price tag of £29.95 the undergraduate reader, be they chemist, biologist or pharmacist will find this an interesting and valuable read.” (Journal of Chemical Biology, May 2009)
“The book is well organized; it offers learning objectives for each chapter and includes a comprehensive index.” (CHOICE, February 2008)
“…tailor-made for Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences students… while also invaluable for students of various other subject areas…(Coleraine Times, 29th August 2007)
“… Provides a comprehensive overview on topics within the areas of general, organic and natural products chemistry…” (Limavady Chronicle, Wednesday 12th September 2007)
FEATURES – Chemistry for Pharmacy Students
- Accessible introduction to the key areas of chemistry required for all pharmacy degree courses
- Clearly structured with a focus on the properties and actions of drug molecules
- Student-friendly and written at a level that is suitable for non-chemistry majors
- Entire chapter devoted to natural product chemistry
- Includes learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter
- Includes supplementary material such as PowerPoint’s and case studies