10 UNCOMMON LUCRATIVE COURSES YOU DIDN’T KNOW YOU COULD STUDY IN NIGERIA.
Presently, some new courses have been introduced into different higher institutions in Nigeria. These courses are not popular and well known like other courses, therefore, making them less competitive and easier to gain admission. Also, they tend to have lower cutoff marks.
These new courses were introduced to increase and bring about growth in the nation’s technological skills in information technology, entrepreneurship management, social management, and political administration for the development of individuals and the nation for self-reliance. This was done in a bid to bridge the gap in the labour market, ensuring that graduates of higher institutions obtain the necessary skills and education for the evolving century.
The majority of these new courses are options too and as good as some the popular courses and as well lucrative.
They were introduced to the following faculties: School of Engineering and engineering technology, School of Physical and Biological Sciences, School of Art and Management, School of Information and Computer Sciences.
Listing of these courses and schools in Nigeria you can study them
- Mechatronics Engineering: Mechatronics engineering or Mechatronics, is a branch of engineering that focuses on the unification of mechanical, electronic, and electrical engineering systems. As technology is advancing, these fields in engineering tend to provide a solution that unifies each of these various subfields. It also includes a combination of robotics, electronics, computer, telecommunications, systems, control, and product engineering. Schools that offer this course include FUTMINNA, FUTO, FUOYE, ABU, UNIBEN, FUNAI, FUNAAB, UNN, BUK and TECH-U.
- Telecommunication Engineering: This is an engineeringdiscipline focused on electrical and computer engineering which seeks to support and enhance telecommunication systems. It is diverse as it connects civil, electronic and system engineering. This is a lucrative course to study. Schools where you can study this course include: BUK,SALEM UNIVERSITY, FUTMINNA, UNILORIN, AUN, BAYERO UNIVERSITY ,and BAZE UNIVERSITY.
- Cyber Security Science: Cybersecurity is a broad category, covering the technology, processes and practices used to protect computer networks, computers, unauthorised access and data from harm. A Cyber security scientist may work as an Internet security, cyber security researcher, information and software security. There are provisions to study this course at FUTMINNA, FUTA, TECH-U and ADUN
- Cell Biology and Genetics: This is an arm of biology that delves into biochemistry and biotechnology. It is the science of heredity, studied at the level of whole organisms, the DNA itself or whole populations. This field combines technology and biology to yield results. Schools like ATBU,FUTA,AKSU, BABCOCK,FUTO offer cell biology and genetics.
- Surveying and geoinformatics:This is a multidisciplinary course that relies heavily on maths physics, geography and computer programming. It provides data for spatial location of the earth’s features and other environmental information needed for cadastral designing and engineering work locations. This is a very lucrative course for the 21st century. It has little or no competition in our higher institutions. There is an already waiting labour market for them as their services are highly demanded. Some schools that offer this course include FUTA, UNIZIK, OAU and UNILAG.
- Veterinary Medicine: This is a branch of medicine dealing with diagnosis, control treatment, dieting, disease, and injuries of animals it is also among the less competitive courses in Nigeria. As the majority of students focus only on human medicine,It continues to be one of the most lucrative and professional courses in the modern time. A veterinarian administers diagnostic, therapeutic and medical treatments to animals. Schools like MOUAU, UNIJOS, UNIABUJA and UNILORIN.
- System Engineering: This is an interdisciplinary field of engineering and engineering management that focuses on the design, integration, and management of complex systems life cycle from the development to production and management. This recently introduced course is relevant to these fields project management, engineering, quality assurance, logistics support, operations, management and maintenanceAUN and UNILAG offers this course of study.
- Glass and Silicate Technology: This is a very rare course that deals with the analysis, mechanical and performance testing in glass and glass products. ABU gives students an opportunity to study this course.
- Marine Engineering: This field of engineering deals with the design, innovation, construction and maintenance of sea vessels and navigation equipment. Marine engineers focus primarily on the development and production of internal systems of boats, ships, or submarines. FUPRE, NDU, AKUTECH and RSUST offers Marine Engineering
- Mathematics & Data: These are among few challenging courses in one’s academic journey. Mathematics students are made to study math from their first year in university. This course plays a major role and forms the bedrock of all computer related or based topics it’s therefore advisable to have a strong mathematics background before venturing into other areas like programing. There is also a high chance of getting employed due to scarcity of math teachers in universities and higher institutions. Other employment opportunity fields are science and engineering, medicine, the economy, the environment and development. FUTO, UNIPORT, UNN, OAU amongst others offer this course.